13 May 2008

old hag

this weekend a few of my favorite people and i welcomed another year of my existence with mojitos and the world's longest dinner at la strada. on my actual birthday i got the greatest talking card from andrea and mike, and a phone call from my sister in sicily. that warmed the lump of coal that is my heart a bit.

so far 26 has been fine, with the exception of a little frostbite i recently suffered after a brief but expletive-riddled battle with some boxes in the -80 freezer. i really should have been wearing the big muppetish gloves we have for extreme temperatures, such as these:


they would have been nice to have back home during the winter, particularly because they're some of the only gloves large enough to fit my jack the pumpkin king fingers. ah but all that's in the past, because winter doesn't exist here. and now it's getting to be summer, which i know because it was 90 degrees last week, so most places have switched their AC setting from 'stun' to 'cryogenic'.

anyway, i'm going to cling desperately to this last year of my mid-20's, because everyone knows that late 20's is only a step away from your 30's, and after that you're pretty much just staring into your grave. according to mike, at least.

No comments: